Barley corn pattern

I was discussing barley corn patterns in another thread, and was asked for a description, and drawings of what I was talking about. I'm going to illustrate the principle for both a straight line engine, and a rose engine.

This pattern works best with a sine wave pattern bar or rosette. You will need to determine the amplitude, and period of the pattern. Let's start with an example of a straight line pattern (your pattern bar may differ from these numbers).

A=0.1"
P=0.5"
Ph=P/2
X=(A/5)+A = 0.120"

Set your pattern bar to 0. If you have stops, or a ratchet for the X travel of your cutter, set it to 0.120" for each cut.
Make the first cut. Advance the cutter X, move the pattern bar to 0.25".
Make the second cut. Advance the cutter X, move the pattern bar to 0".
Repeat across piece. The first diagram shows the path that the point of the cutter will make from cut to cut. The black lines are cut with the pattern bar at 0", and the red lines are cut at 0.25". The edges of the cut should meet where the peaks are close together. If necessary, adjust X so that your cuts are meeting but not overlapping.

The principle is the same in the round. Instead of using distance for the period, we'll use degrees. This example uses a 48 lobe rosette.

A=0.1"
P=7.5º
Ph=P/2=3.75º, or 1 notch on a 96 count crossing wheel
X=(A/5)+A = 0.120"

If you have a crossing wheel with a 96 count, select the first notch.
Make the first cut. Advance the cutter X. Move the crossing wheel to the 2nd notch of the 96 count wheel.
Make the second cut. Advance the cutter X. Move the crossing wheel back to the 1st notch.
Repeat as necessary.

The second diagram shows the barley row on a rose engine. Again, the lines shown are the path of the point of the cutter. The cuts should touch but not overlap. Adjust X as necessary.

Let me know if this is clear, or of any use.

Edit:
Looks like the forum has mangled my images. Let me figure out a better way to get them in the post.

Attachments

Last edited: