• If you would like to gain access to see the full OTI forum, please consider joining the OTI. Click the Register button in the top right corner or if you have previously registered, click the Log In button. If you have forgotten your password, follow the "Forgot Password" link on the Log In page.

Information and Announcements

waitdrvn

This is a copy of the letter that went out today to the membership by email and will be going out via snail mail.

It’s a New Year, and with the New Year comes the topic of dues. Having had a year of reprieve it’s time to address the issue once again. The cost will remain at $35 for the year; however, there are a couple of changes that will come with the dues this time around. First on the list is that you will be able to pay via Pay Pal; however, if you’d prefer you can still send a check. If you choose to pay via Pay Pal to the website, www.ornamentalturners.org, click on “OTI Info,” and then click on the link “join the club.” It will take you to the Pay Pal page and guide you through the process. Dennis has the system set up, and it has been tested.

Those wishing to pay by check please make them payable to “Ornamental Turners International” and send to the following:
Ornamental Turners International
C/O Charles Waggoner
4711 Willow Circle Edmond, OK 73013
405-420-4686

If you would like to contact Charles he can be reached at otitreasury@earthlink.net or by phone.

Another change that will come with dues this year will be access to the website. Permission to post either to the Gallery or to the Forum will be granted only to members. The Open Forum will still be open to all; however, access to view the General Forum will be restricted to those who are registered users of the website. It will not require membership to view these sections but posting will not be allowed. This is an attempt to reduce the amount of spam we’re incurring on a regular basis. Paid members will be granted full participation as well as having access to the OTI club items which include the newsletter and roster. It should be noted that anyone currently registered to the Forum and has not paid their dues by January 31 will still be able to see the Forum but will be cut off from posting. In other words, those who have not paid dues by January 31 will no longer be members.

With this we will be expanding the Open Forum to include items to entice the public at large to fill out the necessary forms for registration to the website with the hopeful end of seeing them become members. Our goal is to be as open as possible without bogging Dennis down with dealing with the constant spammers.
As we move more and more toward electronic communication we’ll be relying on technology to spread news. This letter will be sent out via email, posted on the website, and also mailed to all members. All members that have placed an email address in the roster that received the letter but not the email should contact Jim Hillebrecht at SoCalJimH@aol.com to get it straightened out so that you do not miss updates and newsletters. Members that have not submitted email addresses will continue to receive letters and newsletter via snail mail. Also note that a newsletter was sent out in December so if you did not get it via email let Jim know so that can be resolved as well.
In other news the OTI has acquired an MDF Rose Engine to be shared with local AAW clubs that have an interest in exploration of the medium. The objective is to have this machine travel around from club to club upon request of the local membership. While shipping the unit would be quite awkward, we do believe that if we get the word out that the machine is available and put together a list that we may very well be able to see this machine travel across the country. The lathe is currently in the northeast, and we’ll begin to put together a list of interested clubs. If you know if a group that would be interested in using it for 3 or 4 months let me know at dlindow@socantel.net or by calling at 570-937-3301.

We’re committed to increasing the number of newsletters received each year. This, however, requires the participation of many. We need both long and short articles, and frankly if you’re doing it there are likely others who are interested. Ours is such an esoteric preoccupation that what may seem simple to you may indeed decrease the learning curve for many others who may, in turn, reciprocate by sharing something that could save you a good amount of time. The sharing of information is vital to our growth both personally and as a society. If you don’t consider yourself to be a good writer, take heart. We have a good number of very good writers and editors who are willing to help. If you can simply take some pictures of a process with a brief description they will be able to make your project look great. I will say the same for those of you for whom English is a second language. We’ll put the effort into translation. The best editor can only produce a great newsletter if he has the raw materials with which to go to print, and a vibrant newsletter is a key ingredient to a club that keeps its members growing.

I’d like to remind everyone that we have the Symposium video from the first 10 years of OTI available for purchase at $200 plus $15 of shipping. We also still have a number of the SOT Bulletin CD’s which contain not only the Bulletins from the first few decades but also a large number of invaluable pictures which alone are worth the price of $80. If interested contact Charles Waggoner or David Lindow at the addresses above.
In the forum under the Edit Profile, each person has the ability to input all their roster info that used to be contained in the old member system. This is the information that Jim has been using to create the paper roster each year. It will be used this year to create the roster so it's important that you check and update your information. Please note, the email address that is part of your profile is the email address that is used to send out emails so it needs to be updated too!

Lastly, while we’re not going to have a presence at the AAW meeting in Tampa in 2013 we would like to expand the program in 2014 and are already looking for ideas. If you’d like to see something demonstrated in particular let us know. We’re also beginning to work toward our 2014 OTI Symposium. While it seems like a long ways away the time will go quickly, and it’s never too early to start preparing. If you have any ideas concerning the OTI symposium we’re interested in hearing those as well.

With the ever growing list of tools available along with the information that has come our way in the past few years the pace at which ornamental turning is growing is a delight to all of us who try our hand at discipline or even just collect pieces or machines. It’s the hope of all of the officers of OTI that 2013 proves to be your best year for ornamental turning yet.
Regards,
David Lindow

waitdrvn

This is a copy of an email that is being sent out. It's an announcement and invitation, and I hope to see some of you soon.

The summer is upon us, and many find time in the shop hard to find between vacations, reunions, and other familial obligations. Despite this we still find the odd moment or afternoon in shop to get our OT fix. This summer there will be an opportunity to get together for a weekend of ornamental turning. At the request of a couple of school teachers I decided to have a meeting at my home during the summer. The announcement is below and attached along with hotel information. The meeting will officially be on August 2 and 3 and is open to all. If you need more information let me know.

I’d also remind you to consider making your reservations for the Symposium next year in Columbus. The information is on the website. We have 60 rooms reserved for Friday and Saturday night; however, although they are giving us the special rate on both Thursday night and Sunday night the rooms are not held in a block for us. When the hotel if full the rooms are gone. Again, if you’re interested in going I’d suggest making your reservations sooner rather than later.

John Lea should soon have another newsletter done. He’s been working hard at it, and given the good contributions we’ve had from so many of you it promises to be another good and useful edition. That said, we’re always looking for more contributions. Not all contributions have to be large. All of us have clever ideas from time to time, and sometime a simple picture can spawn an idea for a fellow turner that ends up saving a lot of time and resources. Remember too that even if you don’t feel comfortable writing if you can take pictures of a project or process we can get someone else to help put the words to it. Thanks to all who’ve contributed, and please keep the articles coming.

I hope to see you at my shop in August.

Regards,

David Lindow
President, OTI

Ornamental Turning Meeting August 2 & 3, 2013

I am opening up my shop for an ornamental turner’s meeting on August 2 & 3, 2013. The meeting is open to all that want to come, but it will be limited to about 15 due to space. It will be a hands-on meeting with three or four rose engines present. Whether you are an experienced ornamental turner or just curious about whether or not you want to get into it this meeting would be a great opportunity for you to explore the possibilities.

Although the agenda has not yet been set these meetings are typically project oriented and driven by input previously given by the attendees. If you have anything specific you’d like to see let me know so that I can incorporate it into a project.

The cost of the meeting will be $75and will include lunch and snacks. The shop will be open on Thursday afternoon, but we’ll officially start at 9 on Friday and Saturday morning.

My address and number are as follows:

David Lindow

527 Gravity Rd.

Lake Ariel, PA 18436

570-937-3301

If you’re looking for a hotel the Comfort Inn near Hamlin, PA (Lake Ariel address) is known to be good, 117 Twin Rocks Road, I84 Exit 17, Lake Ariel, PA, 18436 Phone 570-689-4148. It is about 9 miles south of my house on PA Route 191.

There is now another option for a hotel 10 miles north of my house in Carbondale, PA. The Best Western is a brand new hotel located downtown, 25 S Main Street
Carbondale, Pennsylvania, 18407, Phone: 570/536-6020.

There are also many places to stay in Scranton. If you’re flying in let me know so we can try to arrange for your pickup.