Pattern bars

I've been copying pattern bars by using a fixture on my Plant Straight-Line. I mounted an overhead cutting frame and a crosslide on the Plant. By using this method I can copy an old bar as a shown or opposite. Ive been using Delrin, A2 tool steel, HDPE, Corian and different types of Plexyglass. I have spent more hours making 20 different styles and less time using the bars, to see if they hold up to wear. I've sent many different types to Ramesy Holmes as he spends a lot of time doing engine turning.
I have done some preliminary trials on Delrin and Corian. Both show no signs of wear in 45 minutes of use. One has to back off the spring tension.
One might ask, "WHY?" I say, if I can buy or make a pattern bar for less that $20 or less then I can have 30 or 40 different bars for a very low cost. If this experiment doesn't work I'm not out anything but some time and material. If I can get just one of the cheap materials to work, then this project will be fun and interesting.
I also have 7 different types of rubbers for my Plant. So I can make several different new pattern bars from one old bar.
We will see what comes of this project.
Steve White

Many thanks Steve. I'm looking forward to fitting these to my Kenloc and giving them a good workout.
Ramsay

I've been copying pattern bars by using a fixture on my Plant Straight-Line. I mounted an overhead cutting frame and a crosslide on the Plant. By using this method I can copy an old bar as a shown or opposite. Ive been using Delrin, A2 tool steel, HDPE, Corian and different types of Plexyglass. I have spent more hours making 20 different styles and less time using the bars, to see if they hold up to wear. I've sent many different types to Ramesy Holmes as he spends a lot of time doing engine turning.
I have done some preliminary trials on Delrin and Corian. Both show no signs of wear in 45 minutes of use. One has to back off the spring tension.
One might ask, "WHY?" I say, if I can buy or make a pattern bar for less that $20 or less then I can have 30 or 40 different bars for a very low cost. If this experiment doesn't work I'm not out anything but some time and material. If I can get just one of the cheap materials to work, then this project will be fun and interesting.
I also have 7 different types of rubbers for my Plant. So I can make several different new pattern bars from one old bar.
We will see what comes of this project.
Steve White

I did some trials today on the HDPE, sad to say the results were not good. On a small bump bar using a small tipped rubber, I could see wear. I do believe if the radious on the bar was larg and there would be some hope for this material. Delrin does seen to hold up much better under the same trial.
Im not finished testing Coran. It takes detail very well and so I made several bars of the drape pattern everyone loves. We will have to see if the small bumps .010 will hold up. If anyone has any ideas other than A2 , please leave a coment.