Resharpening cutters part way through a run - best strategy?

Hi,
About 30 mins ago I just had to stop a program at a convenient point nearly half way through its run. I deliberately set the feeds low and cut light ( am cutting 8 passes each of 0.5mm depth increment on all 24 paths along the edge of what eventually will become a box, wood is walnut). I started late in the afternoon and senior management advised me to stop because it was getting late in the evening.

Anyway I thought it would also be a good time to resharpen the cutter as it was beginning to sound a little laboured. At that point I realised that I had not really got a strategy for this, as previously I had tackled smaller projects with fewer paths, that I could complete without the need to resharpen my cutter part way through.

When I made the cutter I ground a line across its top at the point where it protruded from my tool holder. After resharpening lining this mark back to the edge of the tool holder is so far my only strategy.

There must be a more accurate way than that so I wondered what strategies others followed?

Alan

Hi Alan

Having just done a 3 day stint at OT using a very pointed cutter, we always sharpen prior to use. My first cuts were on a piece of NSW Scented Rosewood. The cutter was then used on an unknown timber of another bowl much harder wood. These cuts were single passes index, although the use of the cross slide to advance the cutter is a steady rate., 3 series of similar pattern done off the one hone. Index was 120 advanced 1 for each cut. So thats a fair amount of cutting to a depth of approx 2mm.

I'll post pics when I can.

I myself have found its the wood type and then the grain, then pattern which dictates the life of the tool edge.

You have raised a thought though if doing a large or comprehensive piece which needs a touch up of tool would it not be better to have 2 or 3 of the same tool at hand already to go. Then of course its a matter of settings, ease of changing, keeping the same shape of cutter.

Ray